Ben Stokes will not travel with the England squad to Australia on October 28. However, no final decision has been made on his involvement in the Ashes, the ECB informed on Friday.
Stokes was arrested last month on suspicion of being involved in a brawl, and suspended, along with Alex Hales, from internationals until further notice. The ECB also said that Steven Finn will be added to the Ashes touring squad in the wake of recent developments.
”With the Ashes just around the corner, it’s important to give the players, the coaching staff and supporters some clarity around a complex situation,” said director of England Cricket Andrew Strauss in media reports.
“This decision will help us in the weeks ahead and give every player and the whole England set-up the best chance to focus on the challenge ahead in Australia.
“Steven is a high-quality cricketer, with considerable experience of both international cricket and Australian conditions. The selectors believe he will add to the range of options and the squad will be further supported by the arrival of the Lions in Australia in November.”
“We have spoken to Ben and assured him that our decision in no way prejudges the outcome of the ongoing police investigation or cricket discipline commission process, as can be seen by the award of central contracts,” Strauss added.
--By A Cricket Correspondent